audeamus

So - I'm having a less-than-fun day. My nurse was here and he checked my vitals, then immediately called my doctor to order an IV drip. My blood pressure and pulse were out of normal; too low and too high respectively, and my sugar was in the danger zone. I was also dehydrated, and he thought I needed more help.  He said that if he couldn't get the doctor to agree, his next call would have been 911 for admission to hospital. Luckily my doctor was available and responded immediately.  I'm disappointed that my doctor will retire next week, as it will be super challenging from now on. I'll let you know how it progresses.  Tomorrow I have to see my haematologist to ensure that my blood clotting remains normal. I think so, but I'm obviously not to be relied upon... The furry nurse escaped from his room while the nurse was here and came bounding out and leapt into his lap, turning off his hearing aid while we kept calling him. No harm done, thankfully. Don continues to improve, and also refuses medical care. I'm tapped out-I would have got an X-ray and seen the doctor already, but I'm me.

I need your input, please, my friends. I'll have another question later on, but this one is burning my curiosity. A friend of mine says that marriage is the act of a woman" signing up" to the man's life, not him getting into hers, nor is it a partnership of equals. This means, according to my friend, that he is the head of the household, he makes all the "leading" decisions, and he's free to accept or ignore her comments. My friend also argues that women have to act like men in order to be successful in business-so that they have to "come up" to the standard of men to be taken seriously.

Now I know that many of you are wondering if my friend is serious (Yes); if they really are a friend or if it's a joke (friend for 30 + years, yes) and why do I have a friend like that (because varied viewpoints are good, and it helps to keep our brains from falling into bad habits.) I was stunned by the question, because I (obviously) am of the view that marriage is an equal partnership, and that both partners share in decision-making. There are some made by one or the other-like choosing menus, or groceries-but bigger ones get discussed. I mean, I'd be horrified to be told, "you just bought a new house," just as an example. But my friend's viewpoint blows me away. Does anyone agree with them? There's no judgement, I'm curious. According to my friend, I'm the only person out of 33 who thinks that women don't enjoy com-com movies. I'm apparently an outlier because I like thrillers/action | murder mysteries/sci-fi... I know that my friends don't fit the stereotypical bubble-head image, either. Gents-your opinions are particularly valuable here. I need to bring this friend, kicking and screaming if necessary, into the 1920's.. _

Thanks so much. I'll give you the (unsurprising) results later, and the other question that I have for you. Of course, I'll let you know what happens with my medical situation. Good night!

Comments

  1. Sigh.

    So....marriage is a partnership. I think persons brought up in homes where religious teachings are taken literally, are of the misguided view that "Wives should submit to their husband " means their opinions are not of value; that their needs are not important.

    My 2 cents. When 2 become one; when a man leaves his mother and a woman leaves her home; the one they become is now the new family unit.

    As the one, it means the opinion of the individuals in the one should be given priority over the opinion of relatives eg. listen to your husband not your father.

    Note that this does not refer to situations where the spouse is living in an abusive situation ( physical/ emotional/ psychological)

    The needs of the "one" are important therefore the persons who make up the one should both have a voice in the decision making. When you put your spouse 1st ( after God) you put your marriage 1st (as it should be). If someone else needs to be given priority over the marriage/spouse ( including children), then as a couple they agree to give this someone priority over their marriage.

    And no, it's not requiring the others "permission " to do something, it's recognizing that their is another person in this relationship and getting their agreement to put the needs of another before the needs of the one

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Cloyd

Chemo

The surprise!