Memento mori

The Jerry Chronicles today cover that the tiny monster jumped on my lap as soon as I sat down and wriggled himself into a comfortable (to him!) position from which he refused to shift. I got up to do something, and as soon as I sat down again, he leapt back up. He also sat on the remote so I couldn't fast forward or change channels. Did I mention that he can be a tiny pest? Because he can

It's All Souls Day, or Dia de los Muertos today. It's a day to remember those who "have gone before us, marked with the sign of faith." Growing up, this was a bigger deal than Halloween. We would go to the graveyard, light candles and pray for the souls of the dead. It was a fun outing, where the whole family gathered, and we met relatives we rarely saw otherwise. Family legend says that at least one couple met over a grave on an All Souls Day. They used to say that they met and would part over a grave. The kids would run around on the graves, playing a bit, and would be excited to place lit candles. We'd arrive at the graveyard just before sunset, light the candles, pray (and gossip a bit!) and leave when it was very dark. It was rare that you'd leave without meeting lots of people. The candles would be left to burn out, as the crowds dwindled. At home, over a late dinner, we'd hear the family stories again. For 2 nights, the cemeteries would be lit-the Anglicans and Protestants on one night, and the Catholics on the other. I know that it sounds morbid, but I have fond memories of this night. As a teen, our youth group would arrange to meet there and pray; we also would volunteer to help clear some of the graves. Oddly enough, even though this night was so full of love and light, and we'd wander around, we'd never go through there on an average night!

Growing up and attending Masses regularly, we were reminded that it's a "good and noble thing to honour the dead." We always dedicated November to the dead, so we keep them alive in our memories. It's rather sad to think of people who are forgotten and ignored. while they are alive, let alone after they pan. As much as I liked those days of remembering the dead, I always preferred seeing and talking to those who were alive. My grandmother will never again advise or praise me. Every talk we've ever had is locked in my memories. But I can still talk to my aunts and uncles and cousins, and gain new insights: (Plus hear more family stories)

I've received loads of memes talking about "flowers for angels in heaven", or wishing for more time with someone who's passed. These are easy to do, because it requires no effort to forward and the person walks with their ancestors, so you can't talk directly with them. I would hope that in addition to sending out those memes, that people reach out to those who are alive, while they are alive! I'm very fortunate to have cousins who reach out and share info. We know each other and our families. When we're in the same country, we spend time together. It means a lot to me that we do this. As you can guess, family is essential to me. Both my immediate family and the more extended one. It matters that we maintain connections. Truthfully, friends fall into the "extended" category. They all are important to my sanity! 

Let's be sure to maintain contact and be aware of each other. I love hearing everyone's stories and watching the kids grow up. That makes my day. On the day of all souls, let's remember those who are no longer with us with love. We should retell their stories and jokes. And add more stories to our collections. Of course, we don't just keep them to 1 day-like all the other holidays in the year, we need to remember the living and the dead all year long.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cloyd

Chemo

The surprise!