nemo mortalium omnibus horis sapit

Today did not begin favourably. I was bringing up bile when I woke up, and it took until about noon before my stomach settled enough for me to even look at a cup of tea. Happily, it's stayed settled since then. Because I stayed in bed with the door closed, Jerry was almost doubled up with excitement when I finally got up. I had to carry him for a while to help him calm down, and since then he's only left my lap to eat or drink. He's on the sofa as I write, . with an eye fixed on me and the other on Don, who's watching hockey. From past experience, if his team scores, Jerry will climb on his lap and distract him from the game. He seems to know which team Don is supporting and wants the attention back on him. So funny!

It's Remembrance Day today. Every year I watch the ceremony- some years I've walked to the Cenotaph to take part in person, but the views are better on TV. I'm fortunate enough to watch the fly past from my balcony, and, if the wind is right, to hear the 21-gun salute. This year, apart from my stomach, Covid would have kept me away. The ceremony is always moving; perhaps more so in the last 3 years since the last WWI veteran passed. I'm a little torn watching today.

Remembrance Day was always important to my family. Apart from a cousin born on Nov 11, 1926, the poignance of the guns falling silent mattered to us. Even more in 1945-my dad talks about being a boy during the war, and how- even in Tobago-they were on the alert for submarines. My aunt also speaks of shipwrecked sailors being picked up in Toco, near her grandparents' home. It's hard to reconcile those sleepy fishing villages being places where sailors- perhaps enemy combatants - were collected. We also knew of my grandmother's brother who joined the RAF but was badly affected by his experiences. My family is not a military one, but there was a deep-seated respect for the military. Anyway, arriving in Canada where Remembrance Day is celebrated with such ceremony so close to home, and later in my career working with Defence, my respect grew. However, recent revelations tarnished the brass, with so many instances of sexual assault that were seemingly part of the culture. And then the other cases where veterans don't get the support they need-it's shameful.

I have to thank my friend Andrew for his kindness and generosity-he dropped off a lovely care package for me today that included cake. Isn't that lovely? I determined that whatever else my stomach got up to. it would consume every bite. I'm thrilled to report that I did!! We also had some cake with tea for a light supper. Just wonderful! I've got extras stashed for later-both the absolutely delicious meal and the cake. I fully expect to report that my appetite will behave and I'll enjoy those meals.

I'm going to head to bed soon. It's surprising how tired I am, given that I slept late last night and I dozed quite a lot this morning. I may have a midnight snack of cake tonight-my insulin will have some actual work to do tonight. Good night!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cloyd

Chemo

The surprise!