ne ultra crepidam

Bit of a downturn today. My back feels like something is torn above my scapula. It's dreadful. And before you ask-Doctor appointment in the morning at 8:30. It's very uncomfortable, as there's a burning feeling along my back, and a dull ache along my arm. Most annoying. Don is a bit better today, although his shoulder remains sore. He's still relaxing, and gets half-time from the furry nurse, who's getting good at hopping from one lap to another! Jerry complained loudly about my personal service worker's arrival this afternoon, especially when she was changing the sheets. When she left, he growled! then jumped on my lap. Spoiled puppy!

Today's title refers to the need to stick with your own area of expertise... I thought  that it was apt!

I saw one of my neighbours on the elevator today. I was going to the basement, and I was using my cane. She asked why, because I'd "rely too much on it and slow the recovery." Why do people strain my politeness with their unsolicited nonsense? I mean... how would my use of a medically recommended device slow my recovery when I use it as prescribed? What sense does that make? Apart from which, when did I ask for input? It's utterly infuriating. I was able to laugh off her comment, then was saved from further input by the elevator's arrival at the lobby where she left. What absolute rubbish people repeat, don't they? I admit to having heard drivel like that before. When, as a child, I had to wear glasses, an elderly lady told me that I should only wear them to read (I was myopic; I could read without glasses, but I couldn't see clearly 1m away from my face.) Apart from that - almost understandable - instance, I don't think that people should be dispensing unsolicited medical advice! I was raised in a culture in which children didn't contradict their elders. So when she said what she did, I just smiled and retreated behind my aunt (a behaviour that was apt for a 9- year old) until we were away from her. My aunt explained that I should pay attention to the instructions from the doctor, and ignore (politely) everyone else. Her advice has served me well ever since.

I still am confused by the butters-in, and I'm often imitated by them. But I'm getting better at dealing with my reactions. I've come to appreciate that I can't correct everyone, nor is it my responsibility to do so. I'm going to use the Biblical injunction not to cause others to stumble (Matthew 18: 7) as a personal motto. I think that if I do my best to choose the path of kindness then I'm less likely to be an irritant or an obstacle to others. And I'll definitely work on staying human and not trying to be smug or extra perfect and still finding things to laugh about. As Advent approaches, it's a good time to focus on being the kindest version of myself. What do you think? I'd love to know your thoughts! Good night!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cloyd

Chemo

The surprise!