collige virgo rosas

Still feeling a little under the weather, even though I can't put a finger on what exactly is the cause. I ate some mashed potato last night, and finished my serving at lunch today. I seem to have reverted to my toddler days for serving sizes. I'm not thrilled about that, but it's an improvement over earlier this week and not wanting to eat anything. I'll keep trying small portions and slowly build up. My back is still sore, and I get very tired quickly.  I’m under heavy surveillance, and being tested out as a dog bed.  He decided that I’m acceptable for napping LOL

My niece and I are creating our own aunt & niece book club. She picks books and we both read them. I download the e- book from the library and I'm getting a mini- lesson on YA literature, and finding that some of it is better than I expected. I've given her access to my library account so she can expand some of her ideas. Sometimes I'm surprised to find books on my "hold" list that are unknown to me, and when she's done reading, I get a text and I read it myself. I am enjoying this interaction, as you might guess!

My niece has clearly learnt a lot from her many aunts, especially in the arts of negotiation. dissimulation, and wisecracks. I asked her what's her source for these behaviours, and she just laughs and changes the subject. And I recognize several of the phrases that she's used on me The sneaky little sneak is using my lines on me. Very clever indeed! You'd think that I'd have learned my lesson.

Way, way long ago, when my 3 godchildren were quite young, (9,5 & 3) I had taken them on a trip to the beach-just us, no grandparents, and I explained to them about how to negotiate. Over the years since, I added lessons that strengthened lots of their skills. I've had them turn my teachings back on me, with mixed success. As they got older, they improved and I said that I wouldn't pass those skills onto any of my other godchildren or brevet mercer and nephews, nor the actual ones. Clearly I forget about that! The kids are all adults now (32, 29 & 27) and one of the highlights of my trip home are our bonding days, where we all go out together and do-well, whatever comes to mind! I'm happiest when I'm at home with them, just spending time with some of my favourite humans. We eat together, we go to the beach or the movies. Just great fun!

In between those groups of children, my "twin" sister's son (She's been my BFF since we were 11, and we're exactly 6 months apart!) said that he wanted to be a lawyer. He would try to argue various topics with me. His mother would find something to occupy her time while we discussed his point. When he tired of it, he'd change the subject. Various of our relatives suggested that he argue with someone else, but he was determined to win against me. Very persistent for a 14-year-old. He's now a talented photographer and was interning as a journalist. 

Over the years, I've become "aunt" to several children. I do my best to be supportive of the children, do things to encourage their development, and as they grow, so does our relationship. As time Passes, we will adjust the parameters and boundaries. If they are doing something special. I do my best to be there. If I can't, then on my next trip, we will do something to celebrate. For my niece, though, we talk every day. It's a good time, where we're ebu to be open and discuss things that bother her, and plan some fun activities. Everyone knows that I'm proud of her, and I am very happy to have her so easily accessible. I’ve got a new niece and nephew who I haven’t seen in well over a year — in fact, my new nephew is a year old and he still hasn’t met his auntie!  Plus I haven’t seen my niece since she was 4 months old, and she will be 3 in a few months.  So wrong.  Let’s get this pandemic under control and reopen life!!  Get out and get vaccinated!  I need to travel!

I’m good with how we’ve managed to stay close over the years. It’s fabulous that we can exchange news and stay close. It’s a great gift.  Good night!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cloyd

Chemo

The surprise!