in illo tempore

Happy Rosh Hashanah to those who are celebrating. May you have a wonderful New Year. 

My tummy continues to calm down a bet. I was able to eat some spaghetti and tomato sauce. My year-old nephew could probably have comfortably eaten twice my serving! But it's not a contest, and I'm glad that they have healthy appetites. I had a great video call yesterday with them- they were more interested in getting the phone to hang up on me than in actually talking to me. It's all good.  It poured heavily today… here’s a quick view.

I was reading a couple of my favourite books recently. They were written just post-WWII; one is from 1948 and the other 1951. The stories hold up very well, but I was interested in some of the background activities. . Those two led me to a few more, and soon I had filled my day going through some old books!

What, you ask, was so fascinating? Well, the details of daily life, which aren't explained too closely, because they are so common. For example, in one book, a family (mother, son, daughter and governess) go on a 3- week camping trip in a caravan. They are out of communication with everyone during this time. Each night before bed, they listen to the daily news. I remember, as a young child that we had a TV which had 2 channels, that were the same station. This was during the antenna-on-the-roof, black and white TV era. Then came a whole new station, so we had 2 programs from which to choose. They broadcast daily 9am-noon and 3pm-midnight. Anyway, one night the family heard an announcement for them to call the mother’s sister, who was seriously ill; imagine how many times that would need to be broadcast to ensure that the message got to them?  In another book, someone was doing a radio show on birds, then interrupted a news item to report finding a missing child. It's a good reminder that it was not so long ago that cell phones were not as ubiquitous as they are now. That was really the best way to contact someone who was "off the grid." Reading through some others, I found a number of situations that would have been resolved with a cell phone! I think I was most amused by a "high speed chase" across 90 miles (this was pre-metric) by horse-drawn carriage that took about 3 days, required several changes of horses and overnighting at an inn!

Reading the semi-autobiographical "Little House" series by Lana Ingalls- Wilder, there are some scenes that are absolutely terrifying as an adult, because you know how badly things can end. As a child, you essentially glass over them. Apart from Ma's hatred of Indians, there was one night when Pa stayed up watching the payroll money and held back an angry mob. In a Disney movie, that would be a light comedy moment. In reality-that must have been terrifying!

I enjoy stepping into the time-machine their lives in books.. Every chance I have to read an authentic classic, I find another insight into daily life. Don't misunderstand, please. I enjoy the glimpses into the past, but I don't want to live then. It's enjoyable to read about doing things like-laying a fine, or cooking over an open flame It's less fun to clean up the fireplace after you're done with it, or using a hole for a bathroom I mean, there are limits!

I recommend getting lost in a good book or three. I like to read classics, because, as I said, it's like stepping into a time-machine. Loads of fun! Have you ever noticed these kinds of details?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cloyd

Chemo

The surprise!