plenus venter facile de ieiuniis disputat

I woke up before the alarm and managed to remain awake for the duration of the appointment. My doctor is pleased with my overall progress. He explained to the resident that when I first met him, I was in a wheelchair and in so much pain that I could barely stand. then he said that the next time we met, I was being wheeled on a gurney and I didn't leave the hospital for 6 weeks. And so on. Today I walked in and barely used the cane, so he's thrilled with my progress. I can't argue with him!

As I expected, Jerry was bouncing off the walls this morning until we left for the hospital. He knows the route now, and starts excitedly whining when we turn onto the highway! It was raining all day, so he wasn't able to run around as he'd like. He was very happy when I came out after my appointment, and settled on my lap for the ride home. I napped this afternoon, to partly make up for my interrupted night.  Jerry spent part of the day curled up with me, and the rest with Don. He's just nosed his way onto my lap and is lying on his back, moving my hand to rub his tummy or to give me a little werewolf glare to let me know that he's displeased that I'm not massaging his tummy adequately! If I tell him that he's a pest, he just licks his lips and wriggles into a more comfy spot!

I've had several people start talking about "bad" food. In my view, "bad" food is spoiled, rotted or otherwise disgusting and unfit for consumption! Sadly, what they mean is food that you should feel guilty about eating-I don't understand that concept! I'd only feel guilty about eating food if I stole it; or if I lied to get it! Otherwise, why would I feel guilt about food? The people who obsess like that are making themselves and those near them, unhappy!

I'll repeat my discussion with the cancer centre nutritionist. She was giving me advice on meal planning after my massive surgery, where they removed 1/3 of my stomach and several portions of my intestines, 7 years ago now.  She started by telling me to avoid spicy and fried foods until I'd healed fully, as they could imitate my stomach. Then we talked about managing nausea and what foods to avoid, and which could be eaten. Finally, we discussed food, diets and fads which is why I'm sharing info!

To summarize, what she said was:

  • Eat food. Real food.
  • Ensure that you eat 5 or more servings of fruits and vegetables per day.
  • Serving sizes are smaller than you think.
  • Don't eat foods labelled "diet" or "lite" (or "light") they contain artificial ingredients that throw off your body's systems.
  • You're far better off with whole milk, cream and butter than the "lite" substitutes. They help your body feel full faster. (Does not apply to anyone who is lactose- intolerant, obviously.)
  • Avoid artificial sweetness. They are far sweeter than sugar, and cause your body to crave more which defeats the purpose.
  • Eat slowly, until you feel full, then stop.
  • If you're nauseous, avoid your favourite foods so you don't develop a negative reaction to them.
  • There is no such thing as a "good" or "bad" food. There are options which may be better choices-more nutritious, calorie- wise, etc. but all foods can be bad if your abuse them.
  • If a food disagrees with you. stop eating it. You can always find an alternative that works for you
  • Eat what you enjoy, and enjoy what you eat!

I hope that helps clear up some of the burning questions! We can discuss fads another time- I'm really tired. Good night!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cloyd

Chemo

The surprise!